Friday, June 12, 2009

My Tryst with Aloo Parathas


Uggghhhhhhh!! Trust the world to conspire against me.

To do or not to do??

This was the question playing on my mind this morning. To give a background – it suddenly occurred to me to prepare some aloo parathas to take to office for lunch. Now then! I know I am the worst(bordering on dangerous) guy to have around in the kitchen. But some days you get this keeda of doing something different. And of course! the alternative of eating at the God forsaken office cafeteria was too frightening.

And Aloo paratha!! My favorite…I could well imagine wolfing down buttered parathas with curd…..Yummy!! The thought was way too good to ignore.

So with a trepidation of setting the kitchen on fire, and the hopes of a delicious lunch I set about my task.




Lights! Sound! Action! and Fireworks!!


Task 1: Kneading the flour

Now this took some doing. Howsoever hard I tried I never seemed to get the proportion of flour and water right. Either it would become way too sticky or way too dry…..not exactly the best of starts but then the greatest triumphs began with difficulties. To cut a sad story short I finally did managed to curse/coerce/coax the dough in shape!


Task 2: Roll a perfect round paratha

Aha..hmmm…mmmm

To tell you the truth I hadn’t expected to roll out the perfectly shaped “things” at the first go. I would have settled for even a map of India….but unfortunately, I ended with what resembled South Asia, with Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh ready to fall apart.

But then normal is boring. Anyways once in the stomach it won’t matter whether the paratha is round or ahh…uniquely shape


Task 3: Fry the paratha

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhh……

If task 1 and task 2 were nightmarish then this was plain worse…the “thingy” got stuck to the pan and coaxing it to come unstuck was like hell. In turn I was managing to burn the parathas and intermittently my fingers. All dreams of having tasty golden brown parathas were slowly vanishing. Instead I was managing to come up with brown black connotations which remotely resembled something edible. Gawd!! Is there no way of getting things done without this much of effort!!

Finally!! All done and ready. Two uniquely shaped, brown black parathas gleamed at me. Lovingly I packed them for lunch……..looking forward to enjoy the fruits of my labor.


End result

.

.

.

.

.

.

On my way to office I dropped the lunch box somewhere. Had to again partake the slow poison at the office cafeteria.


Life is good.


Over & Out,

Shubham

6 comments:

Shikha said...

Nice try shubham!!
Well... it seems a mighty task first time only.
Keep trying and one day you'll achieve the best result... those golden brown parantha!!!
Till then.. best of luck!! :-D

Unknown said...

dude.. there is definitely an easy way of getting at least this thing done...

well get married soon:-))...


waise, i had no clue that u started writing this good.. grrt work

Shubham Bhardwaj said...

@Shikha: Nah...yesterday's event was too tormenting for me. Run the risk of setting the kitchen on fire :(

@Nikhil: Thanks dude...just trying to pent my frustrations. And marriage for paratha deal is like making a deal with a devil. Too little return and a big price.

Unknown said...

oye... seems u dropped it on purpose since u knew they wldnt taste good anwyays.. ha ha

Shubham Bhardwaj said...

@Priyanka: After so much effort I deserved to eat that paratha :(. Howsoever bad it may have tasted.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.